Callista

Callista

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Home Sweet Home

It is truly a compliment to be trusted by your child's doctors. It's nice to hear from professionals that you're doing a great job and they consider you "educated" parents. We finally got to come home today after spending a week in the hospital. Even though Callie was still throwing up, they had such faith in me as a parent and caregiver that they let me take her home anyway. I am so glad we did because she has been doing great. Maybe she just missed her special chair! Me, I just missed my shower, bed, couch, TV, dog, couch, etc. Okay, I think I missed a lot more than her... Mostly I think we are both looking forward to a night of uninterrupted sleep.

We still have to work on getting her feeds back to baseline but otherwise she has made a super recovery. I was worried about her neck strength after such an invasive procedure but she's already moving her head and trying to hold it up. She's not allowed to do anything strenuous until we have our follow up appointment next week, but I'm so proud of her and how resilient she is. These kiddos go through so much and come out smiling, it's just amazing.

Before leaving today, we had "the talk" with her neuro team about transfer of care. We've made a decision and I pray it's the right one. After next week, we will be under a new neurosurgeon and the thought makes me quite nervous. She will have another sedated MRI in 3-6 months to check on the status of her syrinx. Our current doctor thinks this should take care of the issue but if it doesn't, we will come up with the next course of action which could be tethered cord release or shunting her spine (no thanks to either of these, please!)

I know it's not a very interesting blog post, but I wanted to update everyone on how she was doing. There wasn't enough sleep in the world for my brain to work any harder.

1 comment:

  1. So happy you're home! Yay for a smiling baby and yay for uninterrupted sleep!

    ReplyDelete