Callista

Callista

Friday, August 31, 2012

A Sigh of Relief



Both surgeries were over and were successful. We can officially let out a sigh of relief. Her poor little belly is looking kind of funky at this point but it'll be completely worth it if it works.

Everything happened on schedule and as expected. About a half hour into the scheduled time, the anesthesiologist came out and told us they couldn't get an IV in so they had to put in a central line. We saw that coming because the poor kiddo just has horrible veins. Any she does have have been stuck so many times they're pretty much useless for IVs. About two hours later, the ever-awesome Dr. J came out to tell us it was complete and he was satisfied. He said her hernia was "pretty significant" in the left side, and the right side was very small but still a hernia. The vesicostomy is a little higher than I expected, but overall is pretty small. I can't wait until it heals up more though so it's not as yucky looking. It's pretty simple to take care of, we just stick a little blue thing (it kind of looks like a very small wine stopper) in twice a day to keep it open. It drains pee constantly though, so we are working on strategies to prevent all the leaking. She woke up soaked this morning, so double diaper it is tonight.
We are having some negative side effects right now though, but her doctor thinks it's just anesthesia  issues still. She hasn't been able to hold down much food today. She also hasn't gone #2 since yesterday afternoon. They were nice enough to call in a script for Zofran for her nausea and (eew) a suppository for her other unpleasant issue. I told my husband he had to do it because I wasn't cutting my nails! I really don't want to cut my nails, but truthfully I really don't want to be the one to give it to her more. Hopefully these little treatments will get her feeling better in no time!

We really hope this is the last surgery we have to go through in a very long time and that it keeps us out of the hospital. My little girl isn't so little anymore, she turned 7 months old last weekend and I feel like we've spent way too much time away from home! I am ready to get to our version of normal. 

If any of you have hints for how to keep the pee IN the diaper, please pretty please drop me a line. I want to order a belly band for her but the one place I know where to get one isn't taking orders until at least September 15th, and that's a long time.

As always, thanks to our awesome supporters who pray for us, think about us, and provide more help to us than we could ever imagine. We love you and I look forward to posting good news from here on out!

No comments:

Post a Comment