Callista

Callista

Monday, February 27, 2012

At Least Put on Some Lipstick

That's right world, if you're going to screw me you could at least put on some lipstick!

We are back in the ICU, how exciting. I'm pretty much devastated. We took Callista to the ER on Sunday morning at 2am because she was having trouble breathing due to secretions in her mouth. They suctioned her, took an xray and sent us home (which I did NOT approve of...). By Sunday afternoon, she was sleeping the entire day, hadn't eaten anything, and was dehydrated. We took her back to the ER and this is where it gets really fun.

They stuck her TWELVE times trying to get an IV in, with no success. They ran some blood tests and all came back normal. They decided to transport us to Children's since they couldn't find what was causing the problem. So they load us up in the ambulance and we get about a quarter of the way there and all of the sudden there was a lot of smoke, blinking lights, and spurting oil on the driver's side. And yes, we broke down on the side of the road on the way to Children's. Who the hell else does this happen to besides me? So 20 minutes later after sitting on the side of the highway a new truck comes and we get loaded into that one. The driver decided that we would run hot since we wasted so much time being broken down.

We get to the hospital and they go to unload her and her bed gets freaking stuck in the back of the ambulance. The safety latch won't open and they try for about 5 minutes yanking and pulling to get her out of the truck. Finally one of the EMTs got out a multi tool and pried apart the latch. Again, who else does this happen to? The guy even looked at me and said "This has never happened before....".

Once in the ER, the guy doing the IV tries ONCE and gets it in. So more blood tests and finally some IV fluids for poor dehydrated Callie. They did some more tests and found she had a severe UTI (hello, no symptoms until that very day? wtf?!) and probably some sort of respiratory virus. They admitted her to the Pediatric ICU and that's where we are now. She's got a cPap on to help her breath since she was having periods of apnea. She has two IVs, once of which is in her tummy and looks incredibly painful,. She is hooked up to a million things and to be honest, it scares me to look at her this way. It is frightening looking to see your baby with all these tubes, especially when just two days ago she was the happiest baby in the world with nothing wrong with her. The worst part is, I can't hold her... I don't know where all my bad karma comes from, but is this payback for not having to be on oxygen, assistance, etc. when she was born?

I am in fact having a "woe is me" day. We haven't even been home for two weeks and we're already back in this hell hole. I feel like I've done something wrong. I keep thinking what could I have done or not done that would have prevented this? I'd love to know what the heck we did to deserve all these bad things? I'm supposed to go back to work in another two weeks, but now I don't know if that's going to happen. I may have to take more FMLA time depending on how long this lasts and what she needs because of it. My job is important, but my family is more important and they'll just have to deal with it.

On a positive note (at least I have one...), our benefit Saturday turned out amazing. We had so many awesome people show up, help out, and support us! It was just downright shocking to me how many people came. Callie is truly loved by more people than I could even imagine... Thank you so much for everything, it was just downright spectacular!

1 comment:

  1. Keep your chin up Kimmy. God picked the perfect parents for this little fighter. Even though you are exhausted you and Casey can do this. Think of yourself and Casey as warriors guarding Callie from all the ill in the world.

    ReplyDelete