Callista

Callista

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Seriously?

Edit::::
Moments after posting this, I read some humbling, terrible news from a friend of mine whose daughter is struggling. Please say a prayer that this family finds comfort and a miracle in their time of need. My problems below are insignificant and this family has already been through so much. They deserve a piece of happiness.

Callista had her decompression surgery Tuesday afternoon. They did a bronchoscopy before the actual surgery while she was under to make sure there were no abnormalities. It was completely normal. The surgery was estimated to last around 4 hours but we were closer to six or seven by the time they completed. The neurosurgeon feels like he was successful in decompressing as much as he wanted to and is hopeful that it fixes her swallowing/sensation issues. He said it was pretty squished in there, so we're optimistic about the results. I was a nervous wreck of course and cried my eyes out when they took her away from me. But she was giggling and smiling the entire time before they took her, so I knew that was a sign we were doing the right thing.Right now she is still intubated and on pain meds but she was waking up a little this evening before we headed home. They are hoping to have her off the vent tomorrow.

Yesterday was a pretty miserable day for Casey and I. We had gotten so used to having a room with some light and privacy. We've now been moved to another NICU where there's no windows in sight and instead of rooms there are just curtains. You hear every beep, cry, and conversation in the entire unit. Our curtain doesn't even close all the way so there's absolutely no privacy for us. With her vent machine in there, there's barely any room for the two of us to be in there, let alone if someone comes to visit. My favorite part is that staff just randomly walk into your "room" and start chatting with each other as if you're not even there... I don't mind idle chatter but seriously, you have to squeeze into our little space to do it? So I was a little (okay, a LOT) grumpy yesterday just for being forced to sit in a tiny, dark space for hours on end listening to the baby next to us scream his head off the entire time. Since Callie was still pretty drugged up we decided to leave a bit early. On the way home, I asked Casey if he'd like to go see The Hunger Games with me since we haven't had a moment to ourselves in so long. We went to the movies and about a half hour into it the electricity went out. Once they got everything up and running again, our movie played for about 15 minutes with no sound at a pretty crucial part. Since I read the books I knew what was happening, but everyone who didn't was probably at a complete loss. They got the sound back on again but didn't skip back so we could see the part we missed (ugh!). They "made up for it" by handing out movie passes at the end of the movie (movie pass = ticket to movies that doesn't work for anything new/good/you want to see). We headed home and about five minutes down the road, my car breaks down. Just died. No warning. We had to get towed to my dad's garage and ended up getting home a little after midnight. Fun times...

I feel like everything is just kicking the crap out of me right now. If it's karma trying to teach me a lesson, fine. But at least let me know what the lesson is that I'm supposed to be learning. I think we deserve something good to happen to us now after everything we've been to but it just keeps piling on. Time is ticking for me now, only two more weeks left until I have to return to work and no sign of home in sight. Things need to turn around for us really fast now.

I'll update on how she does off the vent later (she was already quite ticked this afternoon about it all). Thanks for following our story,over 7000 hits now, it's crazy!!! We love you all and appreciate your prayers and support so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment