Callista

Callista

Friday, May 11, 2012

Stupid feedings

I know babies have to eat. But feedings have been quite an obsession with Callie's doctors. She doesn't eat enough, doesn't gain enough, the calories get adjusted, the formula gets changed, etc. Now that she has the g tube, she's been putting on weight like crazy. They're still saying we need to go up on feeds. But with her reflux being as severe as it is, her poor little tummy just can't handle it. We tried going from 70ml to 75ml and all it did was make her throw up. And ever since then she hasn't been happy with feedings. We dropped her back down again, and she seemed better, but her stomach has been bothering her ever since. She had a GI doctor visit scheduled for Monday which I was anxious for, just to make sure everything was still in the right place and working okay, but they rescheduled it to the 29th. I think part of it is the prilosec not matching her new heavier weight, but we need to ask her pediatrician what we should be giving her. Poor little thing just doesn't feel as good as she should. She's gaining weight so leave her alone please...

I am counting down the days to summer break from work. I know I just got back, but I feel like I did not get that adjustment time that normal mommies get. They have six weeks or more home with their babies, and my weeks were spent driving to and from the hospital. So we had to jump right in to balancing work and baby, and it's been interesting. We love having her home though. I try not to be too paranoid at every little thing that happens, but it's hard. In the back of my mind, I always think about the fact that we could have to go back to the hospital. It's bad juju to think about it all the time, but sometimes it just creeps up on you. Lack of rest probably contributes to this too, I'd guess.

Not a very interesting post this week, but will have more updates as our appointments start bombarding us within the next few weeks. Ugh.


3 comments:

  1. I would think as long as she is putting on weight that she is getting enough to eat...Sometimes I just don't understand the way doctors think......Just glad though she is home and everything is going ok....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim, Casey, and Callie,
    I am so pleased Callie is home with you. I am sorry I didn't have a change to say good-bye at the hospital, and to offer a send-off prayer. Please know I think about all of you often. That little room with the windows in A2 hasn't been the same. As it should be. I hope Callie is enjoying life at home in all of its pinkness. God's peace be with you. -- Shana, the chaplain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shana, I'm so glad you can still follow along :) we appreciated your company and good humor during our stay!

    ReplyDelete