Callista

Callista

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Children's Hospital of Vanderbilt

We have a glimmer of hope today.

First, we were referred to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to get an evaluation for in-utero surgery for Callista. It's not a cure, but the outcomes for children who receive it are amazing! If you ever have time, you should look up the MOMS study, it's quite an interesting read. After speaking with them today, my hopes were crushed because they require patients to move there if in fact you qualify for the surgery. I cannot move there, so far away from all of my support, my family, my friends, my home, my fur-baby. I don't think I am mentally able to do that. So CHOP was put on the back burner.

Then I was blessed with reading a blog from another mommy who had surgery at another one of the original hospitals of the surgery: Vanderbilt, in Nashville TN. She got to return to her home state 9 days after surgery, with weekly monitoring at her own certified hospital. So I turned to that option instead.

As of now, we're waiting on a date for our evaluation, and it seems to look promising. My doctor at Riverside thinks there's no reason we would not be considered a candidate, and the enrollment person I talked to at Vanderbilt was also very optimistic. Our evaluation could be in as little as a few weeks, and once we know if we qualify, the surgery will take place the next Tuesday!

I'll be on bed rest for the entire rest of my pregnancy, but it will be worth it if it gives our baby girl an opportunity to have better outcomes!

Prayers and thoughts are much appreciated, we love you all!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment